Saturday, February 25, 2006

Saturday Satisfaction - swing low: a life


Miriam Toewes writes with an unmatched beauty. This book is a terrific compliment to my already favourite, A Complicated Kindness and has many interesting correlations. The fact that the main character is Toewes' own father makes the story that much more interesting and real.

Good quotes:
-I love the introduction. I will tell anyone interested in reading the book to read the intro. If that interests them, I'm sure they'll be hooked.

-C.S. Lewis reference about "We read to know that we are not alone." I need to find where this comes from...because I love it.

Mel Toewes is a teacher whose public/private spheres are very different.
Paternal loyalty as a theme?
Chicken--egg connection between swing low and complicated.

I loved this book. It doesn't have the sass of complicated but it makes up for that with tenderness. The two complement each other quite nicely.

This book was a gift from my friend Lynne. It arrived by mail this summer. I confidently place it in the "perfect, thoughtful gift" category.

No comments: