Thursday, February 02, 2006

Disappointment With God by Philip Yancey

Also on the reading docket this weekend (travelling to York meant that I spent a lot of time of the Greyhound!) was Disappointment with God by Philip Yancey. The cover art on my book is much better than the one on the amazon link I've got there, but it's all I could find.

While it wasn't all I hoped it would be, it is pretty good (Yancey generally is pretty good) and I actually am using a couple of paragraphs from it as part of my talk at IVCF tonight on why we're doing acts of service. I think I'm going to call the talk, "What's in it for ME?" but we'll have to wait and see. Yancey is a good writer, though, and respected in his field, which is important to me. My second favourite thing about him, though, is his hair--the white man 'fro really is pretty cool.

Anyways, generally, this book looks at three questions that "no one" asks aloud. And by "no one" Yancey really seems to mean doubtful Christians who are anxious about rocking the boat with their skepticism. The questions are:
1. If God wants a relationship with us so badly, why does he keep his distance?
2. Why would a loving God let bad things happen?
3. What can we expect from him after all?

More to come on this book. But I must say that it has attracted some interesting looks while reading it in public....

I just checked on Abe Books and there are 238 used copies available, starting at $1.00 US. Hopefully that's a reflection of it's popularity and not is quaility....

No comments: