Thursday, June 02, 2005

Bachelor Brothers' Bed and Breakfast - Part 1

I picked this book up at a garage sale this weekend. Best 50 cents I've spent in a while. I was thrilled to find it in a box of junk because this book had been recommended to me by a fellow Frontier College Volunteer. I'll second his recommendation.

Bachelor Brothers' Bed and Breakfast is an hilarious compilation of a 1993 CBC radio series by Bill Richardson. It's also a thin little volume, weighing in at around 150 pages. Combine that with the fact that it's a fast read, and you've got yourself not only a mood boster, but an ego booster too! (Think: "I read a book in only 3 days!")

The premise of the book is that these twin brothers own a B and B in BC and market themselves as a sort of "literary retreat," where guests can get away from it all and get lost in those pieces of lit they've always intended to read. (Sounds like heaven to me....) Anyways, the book is set up as a sort of Guest Book, signed by various guests who have visited the B and B. The guests' stories are interspersed with musings by the two brothers and cute lists of things like the top books vistors bring on their getaways, etc.

I've been talking this book up with everyone I see. It's one of those feel-good, mass appeal kind of numbers, which makes sense, since it was originally written for radio. The word plays are fabulous and, again, because of its radio roots, this would be a great book to read aloud, if there are actually groups of geeks like me out there who are into that sort of thing.

No comments: