Sunday, March 15, 2015

Intolerable: A Memoir of Extremes

I really wanted to like this book more than I did. The gist of it--a memoir telling one man's story of his escape from the oppression (religious, political, anti-gay) of Yemen/Egypt to live an honest and authentic life in the UK and Canada--sounds like it should be a fascinating story. And while the facts are interesting, the story is dull and repetitive. For me, it lacked emotional connection. I trucked on through because I wanted to give this Canada Reads contender a fair shake, but my whole experience reading it (save maybe for the last chapter and who's to say for sure whether I was suddenly 'feeling it,' or just glad the whole experience was almost over) felt more like required reading than anything fun. I'm disappointed. I think that's all I'm going to say about this one.

No comments: